The sustainable development capacity building hub for decision makers in Northern Europe
CIFAL Scotland, the only United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) affiliated training centre in Northern Europe, offers a wide range of training events addressing the urgent implications of climate change and resource scarcity and promoting solutions where people and business prosper within environmental limits.
Targeted primarily at policy and decision makers in both the public and private sectors CIFAL programmes
- Include leading experts in the fields of climate change, sustainable urbanization, low carbon economy, ecological design, renewable energy solutions and community resilience.
- Invite critical thinking, strategy development and scenario planning.
- Translate UN international conventions into local context for local action.
- Use participatory learning methodologies to inspire creative collective responses.
- Help drive innovation through partnerships and synergies between government, business and community leaders.
CIFAL Findhorn, a prestigious link between the Scottish Government, public sector organizations in Moray (N.E. Scotland), the United Nations and leading sustainability centers worldwide, was founded in 2006 at the Findhorn Ecovillage, known internationally for its innovative new models for sustainable living, and a 1998 recipient of Best Practice Designation from UN Habitat.
In 2011 responding to the urgency of the sustainability agenda CIFAL Board of Directors and UNITAR decided to expand CIFAL activities and presence in Scotland and UK, by establishing a second office in Edinburgh with the mandate of fostering critical connections for advancing the low carbon agenda.