- designs and delivers innovative training to address needs of individuals, organisations and institutions
- facilitates knowledge and experience-sharing through a network of experts in the fields of climate change, sustainable urbanisation, low carbon economy, ecological design, renewable energy solutions and community resilience
- conducts project-based learning activities in the Global South supporting the implementation of the MDGs and the Post-2015 development agenda
- helps drive innovation through partnerships and synergies between government, business and community leaders.
- translates UN international conventions into local context for local action.
CIFAL Findhorn, a prestigious link between the Scottish Government, public sector organizations in Moray (N.E. Scotland), the United Nations and leading sustainability centers worldwide, was founded in 2006 at the Findhorn Ecovillage, known internationally for its innovative new models for sustainable living, and a 1998 recipient of Best Practice Designation from UN Habitat.
In 2011 responding to the urgency of the sustainability agenda CIFAL Board of Directors and UNITAR decided to expand CIFAL activities and presence in Scotland and UK, by establishing a second office in Edinburgh with the mandate of fostering critical connections for advancing the low carbon agenda.